Australian brand Albus Lumen was created by renown stylist Marina Afonina in 2015. Not focused on trends each piece is perfectly understated and confidently classic. With it's premium fabrications, simple silhouettes and minimal yet unique detailing, it's the brand you'll want to wear all summer long.
Since launching in 2015 Albus Lumen has taken home the BT Emerging Designer Award presented by the Australian Fashion Council and was a leading finalist for the International Woolmark presented in New York.
We sat down with founder Marina Afonina to discuss her latest collection, her essentials and more.
The latest collection is named Petram and consists of quite a natural palette of textured creams, whites, browns and black. I would love to hear the story of this collection and where you drew inspiration from.
PETRAM meaning The Rock in Latin. The Collection was inspired by an old photo of an Moroccan girl, draped in different textured fabrics. I like to mix it up between seasons. Our Resort 19 had lots of colours so with SS19 I felt it was good time to keep it simple and bring all different textures together. We have sourced some beautiful fabrics from Italy and japan that offer nice blends of silk, linens, crochet, cottons and denim which is new for us.
Albus Lumen is known for its Resort-wear, and elegant travel pieces, but it's also becoming a must have for the everyday with your easy to wear blazers. What are your favourite ways to style a blazer?
A blazer would be my number one wardrobe staple for sure! Even though we have lots of resort wear and very relaxed clothing to offer, once you mix it with a blazer it gives a nice sharp understated look which can uplift any ordinary outfit.
An Albus Lumen blazer is always simple but with an extra elements such as belts or textural fabrics. I love wearing mine with everything and anything. I literally wear it from travel to night outings ….everyone needs to have one for sure.
How did partaking in Woolmark at the beginning of the year impact your design and material thought process?
Woolmark is an amazing global company that has an incredible library of fabrics. I was so excited to be exposed to all the different wool textiles from all over the world!
Wool is a natural fibre which I love, it comes in lots of different weights and have some amazing options which people don't realise wool can have. We will continue working on projects together which you'll find out soon!
What's your advice for those packing for a summer vacation, what are the items you swear by.
Packing for summer vacation can be quite stressful. I think keep it simple is a key.
I have a list of my absolute essentails such as:
1. Basic linen shirt and shorts in few colors if possible. I always loved a macthing sets. This is a classic outfit which is perfect for day and night time.
2. Kaftan or light weight summer dress.
3. Swim. I only wear a one piece. I love how you can also wear it as a bodysuit with pants/shorts or skirts.
4. Always pack one of my linen blazers. Mix it with shorts or short dressers for night time.
5. Summer sandals. One in black and one in brown (for a more neutral palette) I love A.emery and the Row for super simple design.
6. Accessories. As I usually have a simple color pallette and shapes for my wardrobe I like to mix it with more exciting accessories such as sunglasses, belts etc.
7. Jewellery. I keep my jewellery to minimum. Always wearing my pearls, but during travels I like to purchase trinkets which will remind me of my holiday.
8. Beach bag. I love our new Figura bag in black raffia. It's in a shape of vase and quite fun I think.